Conservation or Adaptive Reuse of a State Registered Place
Fmr Artillery Barracks & Fremantle Harbour Signal Stn
The restoration of the 10 original cottages alongside the development of six new dwellings has transformed a long-vacant, deteriorating and vandalised site into contemporary accommodation for today’s Defence personnel.
The viability of this project was cemented by the owner Defence Housing Australia successfully negotiating with the City of Fremantle for a variation to its Local Planning Scheme to allow greater density development on this heritage site. Approval was also gained to convert a bedroom into a bathroom cum laundry, successfully adapting the cottages for more contemporary needs.
The project has enhanced the significance of the place with the reinstatement of residential use, conservation and adaption of the existing cottages, and interpretive elements. The redevelopment has ensured the retention and enhancement of the heritage significance of the site for the foreseeable future.
Fmr Coogee Hotel and Post Office
The Coogee Hotel and Post Office project was part of the State Government’s Heritage Works Revolving Fund aimed at investing in the conservation and restoration of under-utilised Government-owned heritage buildings so they can be sold and adapted for new uses.
The hotel and post office had been extensively built on over the years. The first move was to demolish all non-original additions and return the buildings to their original form. Every effort was made to retain the heritage integrity of the buildings – bricks were salvaged and used in other repairs; masonry repairs used traditional hand-cut techniques; lime mortars were matched to replace eroded mortar; damaged air-vents and windows were replaced with ones custom-built to original specifications; and paint schemes were meticulously matched by carefully scrapping back the old verandah posts to reveal original colours.
It is anticipated the sale of the former Coogee Hotel and Post Office for new uses will bring new business and activity into the area while showcasing a quality heritage restoration on a treasured heritage building.
Fmr Dalgety Wool Stores (Heirloom by Match)
‘Heirloom by Match’ is the restoration and adaptation of the former 1923 Dalgety Wool Store building in Fremantle into 183 residential apartments.
Developer M/Group worked closely with the State Heritage Office to ensure key heritage development principles guided the design from the onset. Extensive consultation with the City of Fremantle was critical in achieving the density and diversity needed to ensure the project’s viability.
Consultants explored building methods and materials used in renewal projects worldwide to realise fire services, acoustics and energy efficiencies without adversely impacting the building’s heritage structure.
‘Heirloom by Match’ pays homage to the Dalgety Wool Store’s past and cultural heritage significance, and leaves a lasting legacy that honours the development of the wool industry in Western Australia from post-World War I to the late 20th century.
Two-storey Gallop House, overlooking the Swan River in Nedlands, is one of only a few intact examples of colonial residences in Perth.
Gallop House had been maintained as a residence and was in fair condition, but was in urgent need of refurbishment and new facilities.
Managed by the National Trust of Western Australia, it is now home to the Prelude Program, providing a home and work space for musical composers on an annual basis.
The project has brought together organisations from across Australia to conserve, interpret and refurbish the 1870s house and grounds as part of a national composer-in-residence program.
The adaptive re-use project has brought sustainable outcomes to a State Registered place and outstanding social benefits to the Western Australian community.
The 1885 Guildford Hotel has risen like a phoenix from the ashes of a devastating fire in 2008 to become an exciting new pub venue, with a design respectful of the history of the building.
The works were classified into three priorities: urgent works, conservation works and fit-out. The urgent works were those necessary to prevent further deterioration of the heritage fabric and the fit-out was to allow the buildings to be adapted for future use.
The restoration works revealed aspects of the original building that had been hidden by an earlier renovation in the 1990s. Gold-boom era stencilling, convict-made bricks and an original terrazzo floor were among the gems uncovered.
Reopening in 2016, the Guildford Hotel is once more a popular hospitality venue featuring multiple bars, a restaurant, beer garden and function facilities.
The grand belvedere has been rebuilt, along with a retractable roof. Many existing historical features were retained to capture the building’s history including a representative array of fire-ravaged elements which is now inextricably part of the hotel’s story.
In 2012, Regis Aged Care embarked on a project to conserve, reinvigorate and enhance the heritage values of Hillcrest in North Fremantle, as part of a larger upgrade to their aged care facilities.
Built as a residence, it was adapted to provide maternity care in the 1920s, and since 1978, aged care. The variety of uses resulted in many unsympathetic changes, which were reversed as part of the works. An intrusive and poor quality 1970s accommodation block was removed. Original verandahs with wrought-iron balustrades were reinstated, as were original fireplaces, ceiling roses and the grand central stair. Importantly, the main entry to the aged care facility through Hillcrest’s front doors was reinstated, once more positioning the ‘front face’ of this majestic building.
The key challenges were in ensuring that services were discreetly incorporated with minimal impact on the heritage fabric of the building. Lifts and ramps also had to be installed for the provision of universal access.
The conservation and adaptive reuse project has successfully reversed many of the unsympathetic changes and returned a grand building to contemporary use.
Lesmurdie Group (St Brigid's Cottage)
The conservation of the St. Brigid’s Cottage was part of the overall restoration and refurbishment of Lesmurdie Estate.
The 1913 cottage had been unsympathetically adapted in the 1960s. In 2015, it was extensively damaged in an arson attack, just prior to planned conservation works.
However, the works pressed on and new external timber verandah columns were turned to match the original; reclaimed floorboards were sourced and installed; stonework and brickwork were repaired; a new roof was installed; and a small garden added.
Importantly, when a new and contemporary entry porch was added, the ‘red door’ - harking back to the founding Sisters of Mercy’s original symbol of ‘welcome’ - was retained and prominently featured in the design.
The refurbishment reflects the original cottage, and has injected new life into the building within the grounds of Lesmurdie Estate. The cottage is used by St Brigid’s College for visiting teachers, staff and parent accommodation.
Old Perth Boys' School
The 1854 Old Perth Boys School was the first purpose-built public school in the colony. Now transformed into a city hub for Curtin University, the place enabled the university to strengthen its link to its alumni, industry, prospective students and the public. Its presence here also recognises its roots in the adjacent (former) Perth Technical College, a predecessor institution of the WA Institute of Technology which eventually became Curtin University.
Despite the Old Perth Boys School being in generally sound condition, its services required considerable work to successfully adapt it into a useable contemporary space. An internal toilet was incorporated into the new design, with work undertaken to combat rising damp and poor drainage. Stonework conservation, joinery repair and electrical upgrades were also undertaken to ultimately deliver a 6 Green Star interior rating, indicating ‘World Leadership’ in its environmental efficiencies.
Through the vision and commitment of the National Trust and Curtin University, the Old Perth Boys’ School has been conserved, its heritage values celebrated and a compatible new use found, ensuring its sustainable future.
The 1895 Palace Hotel, on the corner of St Georges Terrace and William Street, was the site of the first licenced premises in the Swan River Colony.
Transforming itself from a humble tavern to a sophisticated centrepiece for Perth, the Palace was where cutting-edge technology like electric lighting and the city’s first passenger lift met with high design, craftsmanship and international finishes.
The project has reactivated this grand building and adapted it for contemporary use while conserving and restoring the existing elements that are considered to be of greatest heritage significance.
The impressive façade and elaborate internal features were retained while new useable spaces were created and new technology cleverly installed for modern efficiencies. The original lift shaft and car now houses a compliant modern lift; windows have been enhanced with acoustic glazing; and concealed lighting and sky-lights installed to allow light into otherwise unusable spaces.
This grand Federation Free Classical Style hotel has been successfully revitalised and adapted for modern uses without detracting from its distinct historic character.
Wilhelmsen House has looked out over Fremantle Harbour since 1902, when Dalgety & Co built the imposing offices to support its shipping and pastoral trading business in WA.
The grand Federation Free Classical style building has entered its second century of active use, following one of the most extensive restoration and adaptation projects in the city’s historic West End.
When the Mediterranean Shipping Company, the world’s second largest container line, bought the building in 2013, it provided an opportunity for a sensitive, modern adaptation to create a contemporary and sustainable new head office. A contemporary annex was built on an adjacent lot as a fully integrated extension to the heritage building.
The conservation works, including the painstaking restoration of the façade, and the intelligent adaptation of internal and new spaces have revitalised a heritage building that serves as a reminder of the development of the merchant port at the turn of the 20th century.
The return of a shipping company to the building ensures the continuity of the building’s shipping tradition and history.